The directors of Queen Camel Community Land Trust (CLT) are holding an Open Event at the Old School to launch their community share offer on Friday 27th September and Saturday 28th September 10.00 am – 6.00pm. They are also hosting a Macmillan Coffee Morning at the Old School on the Friday morning, which is claimed to be the World’s Biggest Coffee Morning for cancer support. All welcome to the Open Event and the Macmillan Coffee Morning.
Our first tenants have moved in and we are proud to have a 60% occupancy rate already! One of our new tenants is HomeFirst Plus, which is a not-for-profit organisation helping elderly and vulnerable people live independently, formerly known as Somerset Care & Repair Ltd. Their services include:
- A stairlift engineer, who installs and repairs stairlifts at competitive prices.
- Bathroom adaptations, to include a level access shower, high rise toilet and safety flooring
- Sale of mobility aids, from mobility scooters, rise and recliner chairs, rollators, and various smaller mobility aids at competitive prices.
- A TotalHome 100 service, whereby HomeFirst Plus undertake home repairs, using reliable and trustworthy tradesmen;
- Furniture Reuse, (Furnicare) based in Yeovil. This is planned to restart in September and HomeFirst Plus are looking for volunteers and donations/house clearance items.
- Work with local councils, bringing back properties to a lettable standard which may have stood empty for a number of years. HomeFirst Plus access council funding and lease the property from the owner.
We have given our working parties a rest during August although a number of volunteers have continued painting and gardening. We value and thank all the volunteers who are helping us steadily transform what had become an unkempt, tired and unloved property into one that is increasingly buzzing with life and vitality. There is a long way to go but we are making good progress.